Re: Why is kernel-image-2.6.18-4-amd64 not available?

On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 12:09:27PM +0200, Alvaro Polo Valdenebro wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a machine-in-production which is running a quite-old kernel in
> Debian Sarge, and I need to update it. Upgrading to Etch is not a chance,
> so I am trying to install a 2.6.18 kernel using Debian Backports. But, when
> I have a look to Backports web page...
>
>    http://packages.debian.org/sarge-backports/linux-image-2.6-amd64
>
> The package is not available!!! I am trying to extract some information
> from the web, but I cannot discover the reason because of this package is
> not available. Anyone could help me? Why this package is not available? Is
> there any alternative to obtain a recent, binary kernel for Debian Sarge?

Alvaro,
 The backports repository isn't maintained by the kernel team. I'd
normally suggest contacting the backports.org folks about it but,
given the top news posting on their site, I don't think its likely
that this will change:

  http://backports.org

Note that if you can get the userspace dependencies backported, you
may be able to install/run the etch kernel binaries directly in a
sarge environment. That is obviously not a supported setup, but you
maybe able to find help with that on e.g. the debian-user list.

--
dann frazier