Re: Possibility to maintain in tree modules [was Re: Modules packaging policy - call for discussion]

On Wed, Mar 29, 2006 at 11:10:03AM -0300, Otavio Salvador wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm looking into Ubuntu kernel nowadays 'cause a project and found
> that their idea of maintain the modules directly inside of kernel
> might be a easier to deal solution in mid and long term.
>
> IMHO, keeping our kernel modules outside of kernel itself will work
> until the module is prove useful but once it's done might be easier to
> all of us to have it sync when we do security updates.
>
> As far I can see, I see the following benefits:
>
>  - easier to deply security updates for kernel itself (with or without
>    abi changes);
>
> The drawbacks that I can see:
>
>  - when we need to update a module ('cause a security flaw or a
>    serious bug) we'll need to recompile the whole kernel;

  - it is well adapted to ubuntu's centralized maintenance system, but less
    adapted to debian's distributed nature. At least that was the concensus
    here last time we spoke about the issue.

Also, if i remember well, ubuntu has no testing, so they can't do the two
level archive we have, and let the testing scripts synchronize the modules
with the kernel.