Re: bigphysarea and DSDT-initrd patches

On Sun, 2006-03-12 at 13:56 -0600, Ryan Underwood wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 12, 2006 at 09:38:58AM -0700, dann frazier wrote:
> >
> > hey Ryan,
> >   Your best bet is to continue to push for upstream acceptance:
> >      http://wiki.debian.org/DebianKernelPatchAcceptanceGuidelines
>
> What about the fact that bigphysarea was included in Debian's 2.4
> kernel?  That causes upgrade breakage.  I mailed linux-kernel twice
> regarding that patch and didn't receive one reply.

Yes, that was added prior to kernel team maintenance, so it was
grandfathered in.  Your best bet is probably to find someone on the team
who understands the code and is willing to maintain this patch in the
debian source throughout its lifespan.  Unfortunately, the developer who
originally added this patch is no longer actively working on the debian
kernel.

Another option is to do your own patch package and automate a rebuild
whenever the debian source updates.

--
dann frazier <dannf@dannf.org>