Re: linux-2.4 deprecated

On Wed, Apr 05, 2006 at 11:06:21PM +0200, Aurelien Jarno wrote:

> A few weeks ago, the 2.4 kernels have been declared "deprecated" [1]. I
> would like to know what does this exactly mean:
> - That users are advised not to use them?
> - That we could drop support for them in other packages?
> - That they will be removed from the archive soon?

It means 1), and should mean 3) as well.  In general, it does *not* imply 2)
-- we need to be assured of having a clean upgrade path from sarge to etch,
and since sarge shipped with a 2.4 kernel by default, this means that etch
packages should at least be functional enough on 2.4 to allow a full upgrade
and subsequent reboot to a new kernel.  (That includes not breaking the
system if the upgrade is interrupted and the system is rebooted again to a
2.4 kernel before the upgrade completes.)