Re: [Pkg-xen-devel] Re: Packaing Xen 3.0 etc for Debian

On Fri, Feb 24, 2006 at 04:56:35PM +0100, Guido Trotter wrote:
>                                             On the other hand Xen is not the
> kernel, so isn't it better if there is a team for it, even if strongly connected
> with the kernel one?

It is a sort of kernel. And no, I don't think it is better.

Just to say, how connected xen to linux is:

For example: There are three kernel trees of xen:
- from xen-3.0-testing, 2.6.12
- from linux-2.6-xen, 2.6.16-rc4
- from linux-2.6-merge, 2.6.16-rc3
All of them have different needs from xen.

The kernels from xen-3.0-testing and linux-2.6-merge works with a 3.0
and unstable hypervisor.

The 3.0 utils only works on the kernel from xen-3.0-testing. The
unstable utils with the other. But with both hypervisors.

>                                                           So... what do you
> think we can do now? Can we join our efforts on xen or you strongly think it
> should be left to the kernel team, and we should just close the alioth project?

I won't reject the help of volunteers but I strongly think that the
kernel team needs to have its hands on them.

Bastian

--
Peace was the way.
		-- Kirk, "The City on the Edge of Forever", stardate unknown