Re: Building local kernels from Debian sources

On Thu, Oct 27, 2005 at 02:31:52PM +0200, Maximilian Attems wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 27, 2005 at 01:54:24PM +0200, Marc Haber wrote:
> > this is basically a re-hash of
> > http://blog.zugschlus.de/archives/231-Thoughts-about-the-Debian-kernel.html,
> > which I published on my blog on sunday. Since the article received
> > less response than I originally expected, I would like to solicit your
> > opinions and answers in a more direct way.
>
> the comments show a funny public you reached.

Yes, they have obviously not understood what upstream does provide and
what upstream does not provide.

> > I am one of the guys who builds Linux kernels locally, from vanilla
> > sources. What I don't like in this approach is that I do not get the
> > distribution patches and might miss one of the kernel security
> > patches, since I am way too busy to keep track of LKML any more.
> > otoh, I am kind of a version number junkie when it comes to the
> > kernel, so the Debian kernel sources even in sid frequently are not
> > current enough. So, what I want to have is a compromise between a
> > vanilla kernel and the Debian distribution kernels, built in a way
> > that the images integrate well with Debian.
>
> then use latest stable.

Which package are you referring to?

> the addition of this tree helped a lot in the maintenance of the debian
> kernel. chris wright and greg kroah-hartman do a fantastic job.

They might, but they do seem to hide their documentation pretty well.
At least I didn't find documentation about the applied patches in the
verbosity I was hoping for.

> > This message contains a few questions and wishes directed towards the
> > Debian kernel team which I failed to get addressed on #debian-kernel
> > and on the blog.
> >
> >   * The build process is not very transparent
> >     * Documentation in the README files seems quite incomplete
> >       * In my opinion, answers to these questions are missing:
> >         * Which steps happen in which order (prose)?
> README.build in svn??

Do you have a more exact path to README.build? The repository is huge
and I'd like to avoid checking out the entire repos to be able to
search for that file.

> >         * Are there any hooks to interfere with the build process?
> > 	* How to keep patches from being applied?
> naah, you were already told:
> take it as whole or forget about it.

I do not find that very helpful, and this attitude does not positively
influence my opinion about the debian kernel team.

> > 	* Is there anything like dpatch-edit-patch for the
> >           (home-grown?) patch system in the Debian kernel source package?
> no.
> dpatch was never used afair.

I didn't suggest that dpatch was used. I was asking for a tool to
easily create patches.

> >     * The Kernel Handbook needs to be fleshed out in these regards. I
> >       might want to contribute once I have accumulated the knowledge needed
> >       to write the passages.
> cool.

Actually, my motivation to do so has greatly decreased after learning
about your attitude towards user requests.

Greetings
Marc