Re: 2.6.14 status summary, and upcoming 2.6.15 ...

On Mon, Nov 28, 2005 at 07:42:34PM -0800, Jurij Smakov wrote:
> /* Sorry for not replying to original message, looks like I've lost it */
>
> The quirks I'm aware of:
>
> * The perpetual l-h problem: #340486. The build of modules breaks in
> scripts/basic directory. Since I've contributed the latest "fix" for
> scripts, I'm looking into it. At the moment I'm not even sure whether this
> problem is upstream, packaging screw-up, or kernel-package doing something
> new. I should post a follow-up to this bug within the next few days.

kernel-package is still 9.008.4 last i checked, i am not sure Manoj did upload
the 10.00x version finally to unstable or not. I have not heard from Manoj
since some time.

> * Some early Sun machines (Ultra1, for example) have an sbus bus. Drivers
> for sbus devices are not sysfs-trained, so yaird does not include the esp
> scsi driver (most common in such machines) into initrd. Machine fails to
> boot as a result. I have not tested initramfs-tools, that's also on my
> todo list.

Ok, you can add the needed modules by hand to Default.cfg for yaird, but i
guess there are at least two solutions :

  1) enhance yaird to know about how to detect some non-sysfs modules, like
  the sbus ones, or ...

  2) make the sbus stuff sysfs aware.

The second solution would be preferable i think.