Re: ACL patches in Debian 2.4 series kernel.

On Mon, Aug 08, 2005 at 09:56:07PM +0200, Maximilian Attems wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 08, 2005 at 04:45:37PM +0200, Fabio Muzzi wrote:
> >

> >   I  have  read the cahngelog for Debian version of kernel 2.4.27 (and .26
> >   too) and I have found that the latest version of Posix ACL patches seems
> >   to be 0.8.71, merged by Herbert Xu in April 2004.
> >
> >   As far as I know, this version has bug that makes default ACLs disappear
> >   from  directories  using  ext3  filesystem in certain conditions. I have
> >   asked  on  the ACL mailing list and I was told that the bug was fixed in
> >   verion 0.8.72.
> >
> >   Has  this  bug also been fixed in Debian 2.4 kernels or not? I had found
> >   nothing about it in Debian bug tracking system and in kernel changelog.
> >
> >   Kind regards
> >
> > --
> >
> >  Fabio "Kurgan" Muzzi
>
> you may want to prefer to use a 2.6 kernel there it is fixed anyway.
> the 2.4 line is beeing phased out gradually.
> i don't think there is enough interest in those advanced features for 2.4

Hi Fabio,

are you talking about CAN-2005-0757
http://www.cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CAN-2005-0757 ?
If so the fix is in SVN, awaiting release. If not, can you
give me some more information on the bug and a minimal fix for it?
If its a security bug, which it sounds like it is, we should
update the code if possible. Otherwise, 2.4 is really
in maintenence mode for Sarge, so you might be best to
try one of the newer kernels (e.g. 2.6.12) in unstable.

--
Horms