Re: renaming linux-kernel source package

At Sun, 10 Jul 2005 16:48:15 +0200,
maximilian attems wrote:
> >   * Older kernels get removed; no need to ask for manual removal of
> >     linux-kernel-2.6.12 after 2.6.13 becomes available for all archs.
> >     However, we lose the ability to have multiple 2.6's in a release,
> >     which sounds like a win to me; we shouldn't be doing multiple 2.6
> >     releases anymore anyways, the security team has made it clear they
> >     don't want to support multiple kernels, and it would be extra pressure
> >     for all archs to keep up.

One concern is broken kernels; old working kernel is removed due to
new kernel version is installed, but new one does work.  It may be
kernel crash (ex: oops during bootup), or some module breakage (ex:
sound module cannot resolve its symbols correctly).  In other words, I
(and I guess a lot of people) have been used between "working" or
"non-working" kernels via kernel package version number.  Except for
this worry, it's nice idea.

I think asking to debian-devel and so on is generally good idea to
hear thoughts of user/developer.

> there is still snapshot.d.o for unhappy testers.

Note that recently snapshot.d.o got fs crash; it's still under fsck
recovery.  snapshot.d.o is not perfect solutions for such users...

Regards,
-- gotom