Re: Sarge Sound Problems

On Wed, Jun 01, 2005 at 08:09:44AM -0400, Guy Hulbert wrote:

> > Anyhow.  I disabled the sound chip yesterday and the crashes stopped.
> >
> > This morning I tried to use the CD burner (box was running White-Box
> > Linux up until about a month ago and neither the burner nor the sound
> > worked on that - 2.4.x kernel).  Totally hopeless so I upgraded from
> > 2.6.8-1-k7 (aka 2.6.8-5) to 2.6.8-2-k7 (aka 2.6.8-13) and the burner
> > worked flawlessly (sarge-businesscard.iso, rc3 :-).
>
> Installed 2.6.8-16 yesterday and turned sound back on.  Was stable until
> keyboard locked up sending email with evolution this morning.
>

> > Bravely, I turned the sound back on and discovered that the CD burner
> > had disappeared.  Started up playing some .ogg files and reading mail
> > with evolution and KABOOM.  Took about 5 minutes to crash again.
> >
> > Turned the sound back OFF and rebooted and it has been fine ever since.
> > The CD burner has returned.

This looks more like a conflict between the sound card and the CD burner
than a kernel problem. Specifically I find very strange the CD burner
would not work with White-Box Linux. What kind of CD burner do you have
that won't work with a 2.4 kernel with ide-scsi ?

Have you checked the BIOS and your hardware ?

Cheers,
--
Bill. <ballombe@debian.org>

Imagine a large red swirl here.