Bug#280112: Certain IDE drivers need the help of ide-generic to recognize CD-ROMs
I can reproduce the ide-generic-problem on two of our machines with
1.) Dual Pentium III-Server
- server-works chipset "IDE interface: ServerWorks OSB4 IDE Controller"
- kernel-image-2.6.8-1-686-smp 2.6.8-2 (newer one does not boot because
- SCSI-root-disk and one single IDE-DVDROM as hda.
2.) Pentium 4 Workstation
- Intel chipset "Intel Corp. 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) Ultra ATA 100
Storage Controller (rev 02)"
- kernel-image-2.6.8-1-686-smp 2.6.8-4
- root-disk: SATA and one single IDE-DVDRAM as hda.
'piix.ko' seems to have the same problem as 'serverworks.ko'.
Both machines are no production machines at the moment and I'd be happy
to help with testing.