Re: Wayland in current KDE

On Wednesday, 16 February 2022 09:40:25 CET Libor Klepáč wrote:
> On Út, 2022-02-01 at 20:09 +0100, chris wrote:
>
> > On Monday, 31 January 2022 11:10:35 CET Marc Haber wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I tried Wayland recently. Looked ok, but was hardly usable. The
> > > Panels
> > > show, but don't accept any mouse clicks (neither left nor right).
> > > "Leave" in the desktop's right-click menu didn't work either, had
> > > Ctrl-Alt-Backspace myself out of the session.
> > >
> > > Is this the expected beavior of a KDE Wayland session in current
> > > Debian
> > > unstable? If not, which package deserves the bug report?
> >

> > Here on old lenovo laptop with intel integrated gpu and external 4k
> > monitor .
> > The experience is, all in all, way better than what it was with X11.
> > Chris
>

> Hi,
> how did you deal with screen layout changes when disconnecting laptop
> from external monitor?
> I mean - on xwindows, when i connect my laptop to dock, my primary
> screen moves to external monitor, when i disconnect it moves back.

Hum, my x230 is an old one with 1366x768 screen. With x11, when I was plugin
the external monitor, it was very very bumpy.

Until you tell me, I didn't know you could unplug external monitor without
having to reinstall the system altogether. I mean, I'm glad to hear that you
can do that without too much struggle.

> With wayland, all panels and windows stayed on laptop screen, when I
> plugged laptop to dock.

Yes, I think the primary screen feature is still missing on Wayland. Not long
ago, after some system upgrade, builtin and external monitor, widget and all,
swapped. At that time I didn't find a way to put that straight back, so I
reconfigured the "look" from scratch. But at least the screen resolution was
detected correctly.

Wayland is a work in progress. For what I've understood, x11 is no longer a
work in progress. So I thought, if you have an issue with the compositor,
switch to Wayland, and open an issue.