Re: Need help fixing Akonadi

Updates to this problem for the benefit of others:

30 Nov 2021, 06:10 by hefee@debian.org:

>> > Sure it needs to download every mail again from your IMAP account.
>>
>> The trouble, though, is that it _has_ finished downloading every message,
>> and it continues to download. Perhaps there's a server side error, perhaps
>> there's a KMail error. I just don't know how to navigate the Akonadi
>> console to find what's causing the traffic jam.

I managed to work around this problem by right-clicking the offending IMAP account, clicking Folder Properties -> Retrieval Options and selecting "Retrieve message bodies on demand". I think what happened is that the server timed out and instead of exiting gracefully and picking up later, KMail just kept re-attempting to download from scratch (which I think is a bug). Once KMail was able to update the indicies again, I went back in and switched "Retrieve message bodies on demand" to "Always retrieve full messages" and now it works normally.

> see also https://techbase.kde.org/KDE_PIM/Akonadi/Debug_IMAP

This automagically updated in the latest testing dist-upgrade, so I think there was a regression or library conflict that eventually resolved. This works now.

Still no working address book folders, but I'll keep troubleshooting.

Akonadi still needs to die die die, which shouldn't be controversial, given the consensus opinion of the platform.