Re: Need help fixing Akonadi

Nov 29, 2021, 11:54 by hefee@debian.org:

> By the way, ~/.config/akonadi* are configuration files! So you hopefully have
> backup those, as I expect two of your problems would been fixed, if you
> recover those files.

Not a problem. I made sure I read the files and wrote down any important information before deleting them. I should be able to rebuild these because Akonadi doesn't touch the underlying data (right? RIGHT?!). It's sometimes just easier to start fresh, which is what I want to do, anyhow.

>> 1) Akonadi keeps downloading from my IMAP account at top speed (thereby
>> hogging all the available bandwidth on my network) and never seems to
>> finish.
>>
> Sure it needs to download every mail again from your IMAP account.

The trouble, though, is that it _has_ finished downloading every message, and it continues to download. Perhaps there's a server side error, perhaps there's a KMail error. I just don't know how to navigate the Akonadi console to find what's causing the traffic jam.

>> 2) Akonadi no longer recognises my Maildir as a KMail Mail Folder
>> and refuses to sync the subfolders. However, I can load my Maildir as a
>> simple Maildir folder.
>> 3) Akonadi no longer loads contacts from any of my
>> vCard dirs
>>
> The default settings have changed in between several KDEPIM versions, this is
> what is stored in .config/akonadi/ files. Recover those files from backups,
> than these two resources are availalabe again, after you restarted Akonadi.

I could have followed this advice yesterday before, in an unrelated incident, I accidentally destroyed my most recent backups by resizing partitions (hint: moving btrfs partitions is not a failsafe operation!) :-P I don't mind  rebuilding the databases. If I can figure out what the maildir and vCard directory plugins are choking on, I might be able to fix the offending files by hand and/or file an intelligent bug report. But, again, I don't know which logs to review.

So what I'd like to do, because at this point I haven't much of a choice, is to rebuild the Akonadi databases from scratch and reconfigure them.

With thanks,