Re: kwin wayland turn off screen (xset dpms force off)

On Friday, May 21, 2021 1:50:19 PM CEST inkbottle wrote:
> On Thursday, May 20, 2021 10:10:03 PM CEST Norbert Preining wrote:
> > On Thu, 20 May 2021, inkbottle wrote:
> > > So, with it running in a terminal, you can do: Ctrl-Alt-L, and ta-da,
> > > the
> > > screen turns of a few seconds later.
> > > And when you unlock, the default behavior is restored.
> >
> > I submitted a patch to the kernel that fixes this on the kernel side ;-)
> > No extra scripts needed.
> > It is not perfect and seems to not work in all circumstances, but this
> > is what I am running (but I run self-compiled kernels).
> >
> > https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/drm/amd/-/issues/662#note_909333
>
> Yes indeed.
>
> But I understand my scripting is addressing a different purpose in the "turn
> off screen" arena. It is not addressing a hardware related issue preventing
> altogether things from working. It is more like, assuming lower level
> things are well behaved, "can we shorten the dpms OffTime timer when the
> screen is locked?" And in that "user experience" concern, actually, and
> contrary to my first feeling about it, it is doing pretty well, or so it
> seems, after several days of using it. It even seems reliable.
>
> For the present, with my "systemsettings", my hardware, wayland, "unstable",
> Plasma 5.21.5, framework 5.82, the script found in the previous post, and
> verifying that nothing is obviously interfering with `dbus-monitor
> --session
> "type='signal',interface='org.freedesktop.PowerManagement.Inhibit'"`,
> things have been fool proof for days.
>
> So far, very satisfactory.

In some circumstances, that I haven't been able to identify at all, but which
could be related to opened Firefox, but I have really no evidence at all of
that, the script is defeated, and it's a huge PITA!

The screen turns back on at some point, and it's easy to see that it is not
turning off again, because of the timer being set to 30 sec.

$ dbus-monitor --session
"type='signal',interface='org.freedesktop.PowerManagement.Inhibit'"

dbus-monitor is giving no clues of something happening it'd be aware of.

Thanks,
Chris