Re: Locale Issue in bullseye

Hi Boris,

very useful reply, many thanks.

Am Sonntag, 3. Januar 2021, 22:52:20 CET schrieb Boris Pek:
> Hi,
>
> > I installed a new bullseye system. I added some accounts and changed the
> > locale (regional settings) to German. Worked well for
> >
> > - System settings
> > - Application starter menu
> > - Non-KDE Applications (e.g. firefox and libreoffice)
> >
> > Did not work for
> > - control panel
> > - all KDE Applications, e.g.
> > -- kate
> > -- kmail
> > -- konsole
> > -- ...
> >
> > Is this a bug or did I miss something?
> >
> > Any advice or hint is welcome.
>
> Please show output of commands:
>
> $ locale
> $ locale -a

antonia@aura:~$ locale
locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such file or directory
locale: Cannot set LC_MESSAGES to default locale: No such file or directory
locale: Cannot set LC_ALL to default locale: No such file or directory
LANG=de_DE.UTF-8
LANGUAGE=de:en_US
LC_CTYPE="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_NAME="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=
antonia@aura:~$ locale -a
locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such file or directory
locale: Cannot set LC_MESSAGES to default locale: No such file or directory
locale: Cannot set LC_COLLATE to default locale: No such file or directory
C.UTF-8
POSIX
en_US.utf8
antonia@aura:~$

I did run

root@aura:~# dpkg-reconfigure locales
Generating locales (this might take a while)...
  de_DE.UTF-8... done
  en_US.UTF-8... done
Generation complete.
*** update-locale: Warning: LANGUAGE ("en_US:en") is not compatible with LANG
(de_DE.UTF-8). Disabling it.
root@aura:~#

to add de_DE.utf8

root@aura:~# locale -a
C.UTF-8
de_DE.utf8
en_US.utf8
POSIX
root@aura:~#

> Have you tried to install special meta-packages task-german-desktop and
> task-german-kde-desktop?

No, but task-german-kde-desktop did not add anything anymore

root@aura:/etc# apt-get install task-german-kde-desktop
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
 task-german-kde-desktop
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 0 B/884 B of archives.
After this operation, 6,144 B of additional disk space will be used.
Selecting previously unselected package task-german-kde-desktop.
(Reading database ... 175044 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../task-german-kde-desktop_3.61_all.deb ...
Unpacking task-german-kde-desktop (3.61) ...
Setting up task-german-kde-desktop (3.61) ...
root@aura:/etc#

I think adding the locale de_DE.UTF-8 has fixed the issue. Is it expected that
KDE applications are more sensitive to this than other applications?

Does anybody know the definition of the LANGUAGE variable? Or what does

LANGUAGE=de:en_US

mean?

Thanks again
Rainer