Re: Wohooo! Plasma 5.20 and KF 5.77 coming to unstable

On Wed, Dec 23, 2020 at 11:16 AM Norbert Preining <preining@logic.at> wrote:

> Hi
>
> > excited as I know the kwayland-integration now supports the
> > "middle-mouse-paste" feature.
>
> Actually, it seems that this is still problematic from what I read.

Hmm, I do not see Plasma/wayland as an option in SDDM login-manager.
So, I cannot report.

> > As said, my "base" system is Debian/testing where I have given
> > packages from Debian/unstable and others an APT prio of 99.
>
> That sounds like a great recipe for chaos! Be prepared for cleaning up a
> big mess yourself.

Thanks for the helpful informations and friendly warnings.

The upgrade worked here on Debian/testing.
Not as described in my 2nd email, it needed some APT-shell-kungfu.

> > The following packages will be REMOVED:
> >   user-manager (4:5.19.5-3)
> >
> > This seems to be the only KDE package which will be removed.
> > My user-management is done via shell-commands, so I can live with that.
>
> user-manager is superseeded by a kcms plugin, and is not needed anymore,
> but the functionality is still there.

OK, a plugin for KConfig module (KCM).

[1] https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/KDE#KCM

> > More important is *kdeconnect* for me.
> > Will it work within KDE/Plasma 5.20 and KF 5.77?
>
> Try it ... I don't use it.

I was able to connect to my smartphone via WLAN and kdeconnect.
Controlling VLC via kdeconnect is cool and playing muzak.

> > So, I saw some packages still have version "20.08.3" not "20.12.x".
> > Dunno, if there exist a 20.12.x version for kdeconnect.
>
> That is not a problem. The KDE/Apps can be updated *mostly* independent,
> and most of them have anyway hardly any changes between 20.08 and 20.12.

OK.

> > Is there any magic to just upgrade KDE/Plasma 5.20 and KF 5.77
> > packages within a Debian/testing system?
>
> Yes, there is great perfect unbeatable magic, it is called
>         WAITING
> ;-) Wait until the packages arrive in testing, and it will (hopefully)
> automatically work.

When I played with KDE/GNOME & Wayland I knew how to check the desktop
environment via shell.
In KInfoCenter I see the upgraded versions of KDE/Plasma to v5.20.4
and KDE/Framework to v5.77.0.
dpkg lists no more old versions of KDE/Plasma & KDE/Framework.

Thanks,

Best greetings,
- Sedat -

- Sedat -