Re: You can help: Test Plasma 5.20.4 and test applications 20.12

Thank you, Nicholas!

Alexandre.

On Mon, Dec 14, 2020, 12:55 AM Nicholas D Steeves <nsteeves@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Alexandre,

"Alexandre N." <alexandren@selodigital.net> writes:

> Hi!
>
> Do we really need to use the flag "-t experimental" ?
> When I use it, it returns this error:

It is needed because Plasma 5.20.4 is in the experimental suite, and not
yet in sid.  See, for example:

    https://packages.debian.org/sid/plasma-desktop
vs
    https://packages.debian.org/experimental/plasma-desktop

Please take to heart what Martin wrote:

> Em sáb., 12 de dez. de 2020 às 15:37, Martin Steigerwald <
> martin@lichtvoll.de> escreveu:
>
>> Hi!
>>
>> If you are feeling adventurous and are using Sid, then you can help by
>> testing Plasma 5.20.4 from experimental. I installed it using
[snip]
>> Please do this only if you feel up to it and are willing to keep the
>> pieces in case something breaks. Of course you can always ask for help
>> here, but it would be good if you are willing to do your best to resolve
>> and diagnose issues on your own first and then if need be report with as
>> much detail as possible.

In this case "adventurous" means you may encounter breakage, that you
understand the risks, and are nonetheless brave ;-)  Please take your
time to consider carefully whether you can afford to break your GUI for
a couple of days.  If you don't have a second system, it may be best to
test 5.20.4 from experimental in a VM, or wait for the upload to sid.
Don't forget that downgrading packages is not officially supported!

The only system I enable experimental for is a Core-2-duo Thinkpad that
I keep around for testing and as an emergency backup laptop.  I'm not
very adventurous :-p

> root@sid:/home/coworking# apt install -t experimental plasma-base
> Reading package lists... Done
> E: The value 'experimental' is invalid for APT::Default-Release as such a
> release is not available in the sources
> root@sid:/home/coworking#

To enable the experimental suite, add this line to sources.list, or to a
file in sources.list.d:

    deb http://deb.debian.org/debian experimental main

Regards,
Nicholas