Re: automatically "Quick Tile Window" when starting program?

On 20.07.20 20:18, inkbottle wrote:
On Sunday, July 19, 2020 9:51:48 PM CEST Marco Möller wrote:
On 19.07.20 18:11, inkbottle wrote:
On Sunday, July 19, 2020 3:34:39 PM CEST Marco Möller wrote:
My wish is, that when I start a certain program "XYZ", then it should
automatically be placed on the screen as if I would have already called
by a keyboard shortcut the kwin "Quick Tile Window to
Bottom/Left/Right/Top" function. Where could I preset such placement
individually for a certain program?

You can always to in: right click on title bar >
more actions >
configure special window settings

There you can choose to force the geometry and placement of the window...

It's not really an answer to your question, but it can be a workaround.

There are also scripts that you can download, for kwin if I understand
correctly.

The searched for option is unfortunately not offered there, otherwise it
would be the solution. For "Initial placement" there are offered the
options "Smart, Maximizing, Cascade, Centered, Random, Top Left Corner,
Under Mouse, On Main Window", but not the desired options "Bottom, Left,
Right, Top" which I could then combine with "Maximize Vertically or
Maximize Horizontally, apply initially" in order to achieve what I am
looking for.

The possible solution I was suggesting was not to use "initial placement", but
to go directly to "position" and "size", which allow you to choose the exact
placement of the window. The values are pre-filled with the position and size
of the window you called the action on; so if the window is now at upper-right
tilling position, then calling the action on it will show pre-filled position
and size values related to that window.

If then you choose "force", from that time on, every time you open "such" a
window, it will place itself at that exact position and size, and you won't
even be able to move it or resize it. I suggest you experiment. It is IMO a
cool functionality.

By the way, you wouldn't know what is the difference between "Special
Window Settings" and "Special Application Settings"? Both show the
identical entries but save them independently, although either of them
seems to do the same according to my observations.

Windows are "filtered" using a set of properties: if you choose "window" then
the filtering mechanism will attempt to match the exact same sort of window,
meaning same application, but also is it a pop-up window, a panel sort of
thing... Really I don't know what the exact filtering mechanism is.

If alternatively you choose application, then the filtering will be much more
loose. For example "gimp" is using many different sort of windows. If you
choose that every window of that application must cover the entire screen, it
will result in something possibly you don't want: every pop-up yes-no will
thereon cover the entire screen.

Again, you should experiment with it, IMO it's a cool functionality.

Thanks a lot for the helpful explanations!
Using fixed values for the initial window sizes in my case is not an option, because I run my Linux from a USB-Stick on different Hardware throughout the day, an each Laptop or PC has a different screen with different resolution attached. Vertically maximized tiled to the right of the screen could target it, like I now achieve it with a keyboard shortcut.