Re: new monitor not going into power-saving mode

Gary Dale composed on 2019-12-29 18:33 (UTC-0500):

> Is there something about DisplayPort that causes this behaviour or is it
> specific to this monitor (Samsung LU28E490DS/ZA)?

I suspect the greatest likelihood is the Samsung, and least likely the DisplayPort
itself. My experience with DisplayPorts is that they are less likely to be trouble
than all other CRTCs combined.

Which DDX is X using? NVidia? AMDgpu? Nouveau? Intel? Modesetting? Radeon? Which
GPU and which Debian (IDs from inxi -GxxS)? Can you make a switch, e.g. from Intel
to Modesetting or vice versa?

Do you have any power affecting settings in /etc/X11/xorg.con*?

Things to try to narrow down or eliminate the fault:

Firmware upgrade for the Samsung.

Toggling the Samsung's eco saver.

Toggling the Samsung's MST setting if it has one.

Another DisplayPort cable, even if you're using one that came with the display.

HDMI cable.

A virgin login user with Plasma.

A desktop or WM other than Plasma.

Emptying ~/.cache/ while logged out of X.

(as a test) reduce resolution, e.g. from 3840x2160 to 2560x1440.

A different PC.

A current mainline kernel version if not using Sid.

Live boot of some other distro, e.g. KDE Neon or Fedora 31/Plasma/KDE.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/