Re: Some information about the removal of Qt 4 and remaining KDE SC 4.14

Hi Martin,

Martin Steigerwald wrote:

> Hmmm… yes. KNode is not maintained by upstream anymore:
>
> https://kde.org/applications/unmaintained/org.kde.knode
>
> See also:
>
> [kdepim4] Future Qt4 removal from Buster
>
> https://bugs.debian.org/874947
>
> There has been thoughts to integrate news reading into Akonadi based
> KMail, but this has never been completed.
>
> So unless someone ports KNode to KF 5 / Qt 5, it would be gone for now.

I wish I could help but I did look at porting it last year but decided that
I didn't have sufficient background in kde to support doing it.

I did look at Pino's Akonadi version at
https://cgit.kde.org/scratch/pino/akonadi-nntp.git/
but didn't use it. Probably the way to go for kde if knode does finally die
but I don't think I'm sufficiently qualified to help make it happen.

> You can delay this by not cleaning up and hoping it will be able to
> remain installed for at least a little longer. But sooner or later… it
> would be time to say goodbye (or work on it).
>
> You may opt to subscribe to the mailing list. I use KMail with it and it
> works okay. I still use POP3 so I let it download and filter locally into
> a folder. KMail has good mailing list support, so answers go to the
> list, unless the sender set a Reply-To to a different location. (I do not
> recommend the latter.)

For me it's historical since I have a local inn2 newsserver which also
maintains a feed of newsgroups from an external news server. These days I
have some quite vigorous filter rules which remove most of the junk and
makes news reading acceptable. Knode integrates with this well set up and
with other kde applications so its loss  to me would be substantial.

I'll try Gnome's Pan newsreader in the meantime since it looks like this may
be better supported in the future. Shame its gtk based and not qt though. I
did look at Thunderbird but couldn't get on with its interface.

> It is a bit of a pity. For many the Internet is just Web 2.0 anymore.
> That there is a lot of other services with usable fat clients…

I guess a lot of the many don't know what they're missing :)

Regards

Rob

Hmmm...     will this be the last message i send from knode ??