Re: Buster: Konqueror as File Manager

Hi Robert,

Am Freitag, 23. August 2019, 03:45:00 CEST schrieb R.Lewis:
> Hello -
>
> I use Konqueror as a file manager in Debian Stretch, but I have noticed the
> following changes to Konqueror in Buster that have affected the way it can be
> used as a file manager:
>
> .  I cannot open Konqueror with "kfmclient openProfile filemanagement"
> .  the profiles section is missing from the Settings drop-down menu
>     . Load View Profile
>     . Save View Profile As ...
>     . Configure View Profiles
> . also missing from the Settings drop-down menu is "Show Sidebar  F9"
>     . F9 does not work, and I have not been able to find a way to display the
> Sidebar

Had been using Konqueror for years as a file manager before the rise of Buster.

> Under Konqueror/Help/Konqueror Introduction/Introduction, it says:
> Konqueror makes working with and managing your files easy. You can browse
> both local and networked folders while enjoying advanced features such as
> the powerful sidebar and file previews.
>
> I would appreciate any suggestions how to make Konqueror as a file manager
> work the way it has in previous versions, especially having the sidebar.

When Dolphin appeared on stage, the Konqueror devs (iirc) said that they
would like to focus more on browser capabilities so they could reduce complexity
in Konqueror by removing non-browser stuff.

I've never found myself very fond of Dolphin, matter of taste. So I've fiddled
a while to get Konqueror back to how it used to be, but eventually gave up (though
it may still well be possible, but I did not have enough patience and time).
Konqueror of today is not what it used to be. All for good reasons.

In the end I've switched to Krusader (had been using the Norton Commander ages
ago, then Midnight Commander) and found it to be a good replacement for Konqueror.

> Thank you.
>
> Regards,
> Robert

Just my 2 cent - though no answer to the question.

	Christian