Re: How to redraw labels of plasma desktop icons in folder-view mode using a custom script

Hi!

El lunes, 11 de febrero de 2019 09:05:53 -03 computer.enthusiastic escribió:
> Hi,
>
> I'm currently using Debian Buster with the latest updates on a
> computer equipped with a nvidia graphic card (GeForce 9600M GT) using
> latest legacy nvidia proprietary drivers (340.107).

I know it's not pleasant to read this but that's what you get from using
proprietary crap. Specially coming from NVidia.

> The labels of plasma desktop icons in folder-view mode are always
> corrupted after resume from suspend to memory or hibernation to disk.
>
> This bug has been already reported in the KDE Bugtracking System as
> "closed upstream" [0][1] but in my current hardware configuration it
> is still there (I've opened a bug report [2] with the details about
> graphic card driver).
>
> According to [1], the nvidia proprietary driver should expose a
> property called GL_NV_robustness_video_memory_purge and the
> recognition of this property seems has been be implemented in the
> latest QT version after bugs reports [0][1]. Unfortunately, the
> current legacy nvidia driver for GeForce 9600M GT (version 340.107)
> seems not to implement this property, as shown by the glxinfo command
> in my computer. Therefore, I suppose that this bug will be not solved
> neither upstream (kde/qt) nor by the nvidia developers.
>
> I would like to implement a workaround to redraw plasma-shell desktop
> icons in folder-view mode. I don't want to force-restart plasmashell
> after every resume from suspend/hibernate as suggested in [3], because
> it takes time for the restart and the plasmashell rendering is not
> always correct.
>
> Therefore, I would like to use, for example, a ECMA script to send a
> message by dbus to plasmashell to redraw its contents. I've read KDE
> documentation about Plasma Desktop Scripting [4], but I wasn't able to
> figure out how to do it as a ECMA script and your help would be
> appreciated.

Have you tried first using nouveau? I don't know how it works because I have
not been buying NVidia cards in more than a decade due to exactly this kind of
issues.

--
16: De quien es Internet
    * De DIOS dado que todas las cosas del mundo le pertenecen

Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer
http://perezmeyer.com.ar/
http://perezmeyer.blogspot.com/