Buster: "Run as a different user" issue ( was Re: Buster: (Alt+F2) Can't find a way to "Run as a different user")

Sep 9, 2018, 2:47 AM by local10@tutanota.com:

> Hi,
>
> Occasionally I need to run some KDE apps as root. The way I used to do it was as follows: press Alt+F2, then type, for example, Dolphin, then click on the "wrench" in the "Run Dolphin" option, then check "Run as a different user" checkbox, enter the username (root) and password. Dolphin then would start and run with root privileges.
>
> Now in Buster, when I press Alt+F2, then type Dolphin, I see the "Run Dolphin" option but it no longer has "Run as a different user" wrench icon, instead it has "Run in Terminal Window" that does not seem to allow to run as a different user. The command line plugin is enabled.

Just to get it out of the way, I reinstalled kde-standard to include all recommended packages. So now all recommended packages for kde-standard have been installed on my box but "Run as a different user" just does not work for me.

Here's what I did:

1. Select an application launcher (tried it with Kwrite, Konqueror, Konsole) > RMB click > Edit launcher (or Edit Application) > Application > Advanced Options > User > [X] check Run as a different user > User name > root

2. Launch the app, it launches, asks for the (root) password, enter the password, click OK, the app just sits there for minutes. Trying to close the Enter password window results in "Application kdesu is not responding" and offers to terminate application kdesu. I can terminate it but that's about it.

Any ideas? Thanks