Re: Buster: KDE questions/issues

Sep 8, 2018, 3:16 AM by martin@lichtvoll.de:

> Well, saw that after your other mail. So you still receive my lecture
> about recommends at all. I really ask you to be open to consider it.
>
> Or in case you still like to go without recommends, be ready to keep the
> pieces if things do not work as intended and invest some time to search
> yourself for the suitable package *before* asking here about it. They
> are not all that difficult to find.

I understand your position about recommended packages and in case of KDE it looks like it does make a lot of sense. I used to install recommended packages until I came across packages that recommended all kind of questionable stuff, in my view, (some g**gle services, etc, if I remember correctly). After that incident I put in a restriction on recommended packages.  Ran Wheezy for years without installing recommended packages and it never was much of a problem, to the point that I even stopped bothering looking at what packages are recommended.

I think I will keep the restriction in place for now and just pay more attention to the recommended packages section.

Thanks for your help