global menu buttons disappeared (and cannot be added again)

Hi.

After a recent upgrade (right after the qt 5.10.1 migration) the global menu buttons on the window decoration have disappeared. If I go to the "buttons" tab of the "windows decoration" setting I can see that the global button is still amongst the ones that should be visible on the actual windows' decorations. I tried to remove it, apply, and then adding it up again (and apply) but no luck.
Ever since plasma  5.12 this should be (and it has been so far) sufficient to have the global menu buttons on the decorations (i.e. there is no need to go to do the extra step in "widget style"->"fine tuning" etc).
Is anyone else having this problem?

Thanks
John