A recent update messed up application preferences

Hi,

I'm using Testing, and a recent update -- I'm not sure which, there
seem to have been both a large KDE update and a large Gnome/Cinnamon
update in the last few days -- have messed up my application
preferences. Thus, I suddenly found Gimp as my default PDF reader (when
it has been Okular ever since Okular was available in Debian), and a
".jpeg" image suddenly opened in ImageMagick instead of Gwenview in my
mail application (Claws Mail), although Gwenview was still chosen by
xdg-open.

Can anyone give me some clue where to look for the culprit?

Thanks,
	Shai.