Re: Multi-Screen Problems after upgrading jessie -> stretch

On 2017-10-03 12:56, Jan Luehr wrote:
> Hello folks,
>
> I've some trouble with multi-screen setups changing while logged in - ie
> due to:
> - a data projector is connected, disconnected or reconnected
> - a docking station is docked / un-docked
>
> In all situations:
> - xrander lists all screens correctly
> - System Settings -> Display Monitoring shows the connected devices
> correctly.
> - Suspending / uns-uspending has no effect
> - If switching to a text-console (CTRL+Alt+Fn) the console is shown on
> all screens correctly. When switching back, the desktop is show for a
> fraction of a second (buffer?)
>
> Problems occurring:
> - New screens remain black (ie: Plugged in data projector remains black)
> - Old screens are not detached (ie Desktop occupies non-existing
> screens, menu bar is missing).
> - All screens are black, the mouse pointer is shown, only.
>
> Misc:
> - Restarting the xserver helps usually - the current layout is applied
> correctly
> - Deleting .local/share/applications/kscreen and the old
> .kde-kscreen-directory has no effect
> - Jessie was ok - all problems are regressions after updating to Stretch.
>
> Do you have any idea how to fix that ?
> For the moment, I need to restart my session (Log-In / Log-Out), when
> giving a talk or the connection to the data projector is lost for a
> second during a talk. It is really annoying. :-(
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Jan

What a coincidence. Same problem here between a Lenovo Skylake i915
laptop and a Benq device, with a HDMI connection on both sides. I am
using stock Stretch, no upgrades to testing or experimental.

This ruined a talk I gave yesterday evening. The audience was somewhat
forgiving, but will be less so tomorrow in another setting.

At best a slide would be visible after a few seconds for a second or
two, disappear again, and if lucky, show up once or twice more for a few
seconds before switching to the next slide. Sometimes the right half of
the slide was visible on the left half of the screen. I thought it was
the cable's fault, thought of trying another one later today.

An urgent fix would be highly appreciated.

Regards,
Andreas