Re: jessie upgrade deemed very difficult + there is no simple way not to install konqueror

On Tuesday, June 20, 2017 12:42:01 AM CEST you wrote:
> On Monday, June 19, 2017 11:30:31 PM CEST you wrote:
> > inkbottle ha scritto:
> > > task-kde-desktop depends on kde-standard
> > > which depends on plasma-desktop
> > > which depends on kde-baseapps
> > > which depends on konqueror
> > > which depends on tons of difficult to understand seemingly outdated
> > > dependencies.
> > >
> > > The upgrade is very difficult
> > >
> > > In fact I give up the upgrade altogether.
> > > I'll have to come to it through another angle:
> > > There are tons of packages which I deem old and unnecessary, and I find
> > > no
> > > simple way not to install them.
> > >
> > > And there is no simple way not to install konqueror.
> >
> > So to summarize: the upgrade itself is not complicated; it is complicated
> > only because you don't want konqueror.
> >
> > Can you please try at least to complete it, and list which "tons of
> > packages" are old and unnecessary? Konqueror in Stretch is not so
> > different
> > from Konqueror in Jessie from the point of view of dependencies, so you
> > should have those dependencies already.
>
> Well, first thing I had *all* the automatically installed packages marked as
> manually installed by aptitude, so I had to press "M" on more than 100
> entries (perhaps a lot more): it is unrelated but it was not a good start.
>
> For the rest you are probably right.
>
> However the dependencies are quite maximal, everything is "depend", where in
> many places a "recommended" would have been enough, IMO.
> So there is no flexibility: either you install everything, or you have to
> select everything manually.
>
> Also it is not my computer: I, myself, follow sid... Hence I've seen all the
> changes that have been done those last months... And though it is not
> rocket science (to the point i can be just plain mistaken); but when I've
> done the upgrade, many times version numbers where "looking wrong".
>
> I am, at the moment, trying to complete the upgrade, and that without going
> into all the details.
>
> I'll keep you informed.

libnepomukcore4 4:4.14.0-1 is going away at end of install as part of 158
"obsolete and locally created packages":
I already feel better

So, for this one, konqueror wasn't the culprit after all (sorry for being
prejudiced against konqueror, as it has already shown a couple of month ago
when that matter has been discussed, here)

All those packages I was seeing them, I wanted to remove them, but
unsuccessfully... Now they went away all by themselves.

===

I've waited everything was completed before sending:
Even though it has been a bit tedious, it's now working like a charm.

User experience is smooth and consistent, that is, nothing changed but the
colors.

Again, I've been influenced in my initial post about what has been said a
couple of months ago, about: do we, or do we not, put everything, and the
kitchen sink.
IMO, the kitchen sink isn't missing here.

It is a matter of opinion; for sure, user experience is likely to be smooth.

Note: twice, aptitude resolver has been stuck for more than two minutes. (cpu
is an i5)