Re: Kmail often stuck at "Retrieving folder contents..."

On Wednesday, March 1, 2017 11:17:56 AM CET Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> Hello Tim.
>
> Am Mittwoch, 1. März 2017, 10:56:45 CET schrieb Tim Ruehsen:
> > Please wait...
> >
> > No matter how long I wait, KMail is stuck.
> > I have to restart KMail.
> >
> > My impression: It happens regular when changing folders too fast.
> >
> > Of course I tried akonadictl (fsck + vacuum + restart) with no success.
> >
> > Any idea where to look at or what to do ?
>
> This topic has been discussed just recently on kdepim-users mailing list. It
> appears to be a known issue.
>
> Please review
>
> "Retrieving Folders..." hang and a possible solution
>
> thread there.

Thanks Martin,

I tried to increase the INNODB buffer as suggested with no success.
And btw, I do not have a performance problem, KMail is hanging forever.

Someone mentioned
https://cgit.kde.org/akonadi.git/commit/?h=Applications/
16.12&id=d42f94701f38c26cf3439727b50ee73cf0d09bee

Not sure how fast it will make it into Debian.
And I am not sure if this addresses my problem... I now have several emails
that produce the issue just by clicking on them.

KMail evolved from a once very stable and fast mail client to a almost
unusable one. Each iteration/bugfix comes with new bugs that are even worse
than the ones fixed. My conclusion after years of suffering: KMail does not
have enough dev resources - it is literally dead and meanwhile lacks many
features that other mail client had for years (one badly missing and requested
years ago: Saving encrypted messages unencrypted locally).

Tim (really frustrated at the moment)