Re: linux-image-4.9.0-1-amd64 + nvidia-legacy-304xx-driver + xserver-xorg-video-nouveau

On 01/14/2017 09:51 PM, Felix Miata wrote:
Jimmy Johnson composed on 2017-01-14 20:37 (UTC-0800):

Is something missing in the kernel, maybe a module?

Which gfxchip do you have?

This is Nvidia GeForce7025 using nvidia-legacy-304xx-driver using the 4.8.0-2 kernel because it's the only thing I've found to work.

Did you miss that the _preferred_ FOSS video driver in Sid, modesetting,
is integrated into the xerver and you haven't tried it? It might be your
solution. If you purge nouveau and nvidia drivers modesetting should be
used automatically unless your gfxchip is outside support scope. I don't
know whether there actually has been an announcement for NVidia, but
NAICT it did happen for Intel:

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Fedora-Xorg-Intel-DDX-Switch

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=intel-modesetting-2017&num=1

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Ubuntu-Debian-Abandon-Intel-DDX

I'm also using an Intel desktop with ATI Radeon 9550 graphics and an Intel Laptop with Intel 965 graphics and this my main desktop is Nvidia with Nvidia GeForce7025 graphics. They all have some kind of problem with Sid/testing and Stretch Plasma. They all have many systems installed and are ready to test suggestions.
--
Jimmy Johnson

Debian Sid/Testing - Plasma Version 5.8.4 - EXT4 at sda17
Registered Linux User #380263