Re: Searching in dolphin

On 2017-01-06 18:31, Rainer Dorsch wrote:

On 2017-01-05 22:15, Brad Rogers wrote:

On Thu, 05 Jan 2017 21:02:00 +0100

solitone <solitone@mail.com> wrote:

Hello solitone,

What package is needed in order to use the search functionality in

Dolphin? At the moment I get an "invalid protocol" error.

Nothing:

Run System Settings, then go to Workspace -> Search -> File Search and

turn *off* Enable File Search. That is, untick/uncheck it. Now apply,

and then the Find file function will work in Dolphin.

Hi Guys,

Same error here on Debian Jessie/KDE 4.14.2/Dolphin 4.14.1. When I run

System Settings I do not see an option "Search option"

According to the System Setting Manual there should be a "Desktop

Search" module under System Settings > Workspace Appearance and Behavior

- but it is not there. I assume this is what is meant by "File Search"

above. Am I correct?

Any hints/instructions about how to get Dolphin's Find to work (given

the above)?

Please note I turned file indexing off when I first installed Jessie.

I can at least confirm that desktop search works for me in Jessie, my dataset is about 60 GB in about half a million files.

There is "Desktop Search" and "Desktop Search Advanced" in "System Settings". In "Desktop Search Advanced" I specified which paths to exclude and which to include in the desktop search. I have enabled "Desktop search" and "File indexer"

##
##
I found (at least part of) the problem here:
https://www.ryananddebi.com/2015/07/13/linux-getting-find-working-in-dolphin-on-kde-linux-mint-and-kubuntu/
You have to have baloo4 installed for these items to appear in System Settings. Checking my software I have most of the baloo libraries installed but not the baloo4 base application.
##
##

There is one glitch I noticed: dolphin searches from the current working directory. If the current working directory is a symbolic link, the search does not find anything. It seems baloo stores the physical paths and is not able to map symbolic paths to physical paths.

##
##
...ouch...!
The whole point (for me, anyway) is to quickly search from the current working directory. If I want anything else I use kfind.
##
##

I hope that helps...

Rainer

--

Rainer Dorsch

http://bokomoko.de/

Also, from the comments to the post I linked above, it seems that (from Aug/Sept 2016 anyway) that you can have searching from Dolphin or searching from Krunner - but not both.

At the moment I'll put up with it. Looking around on the web it seems that the guys over at KDE have been struggling with semantic search for a while. It seems it is very difficult to get this right. And I prefer to take the (perceived) "performance hit" when I (infrequently) search, rather than all the time.

The biggest problem for me is that I (try to) use the Dolphin find functionality so rarely I forget it's broken. So I click the button, enter the search term(s) then swear and curse etc.

Thanks very much for taking the time to respond. With any luck the link above might help someone.

Cheers,
Dave.