kbiff replacement

I upgraded a test machine from kde Wheezy to Jessie and it removed
kbiff.  For years I have used this to beep when a message arrived to my
local Inbox, change an icon in the panel showing mail status, and run my
(non kmail) mail program when clicked.

I have been unsuccessfully trying to replace this functionality.  I
downloaded kde-plasma-mail-checker but can't figure out how to install
it.  It shows up as directory:
~/.kde/share/apps/plasma/plasmoids/kde-plasma-mail-checker
I typed akonaditray which launches akonadi_newmailnotifier_agent
but it doesn't seem to do anything.

Does anyone have a suggestion?  (xfce4 mailwatch works!)