Re: Compositing Problem

On Sunday, October 23, 2016 11:28:45 AM CEST Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> Jus to debian-kde list:
>
> Am Samstag, 22. Oktober 2016, 20:49:03 CEST schrieb David Baron:
> > Just maybe it be time that plasma worked correctly with Nouveau. Nouveau
> > is
> > beautiful for everything else.
> >
> > At least, Debian folks are maintaining that, not dependent on Nvidia to
> > maintain for legacy devices they would rather forget.
>
> Issues like this are the reason why I do not buy NVidia based desktop/laptop

I, myself, stick to the very same rule, I thoroughly shun everything NVidia,
even in hand-held devices, like phone, even though the OS is Android, viz.
non-free, whenever possible.

I'm very grateful for all the other manufacturers who provide open
specification: Intel, for a start, and...

Chris

PS: Not very long ago I had a Dell Precision M4300 laptop which was doing well
with Nouveau; the laptop was subject to unexpected shutdown regularly, often
when using Firefox, but it might have been unrelated. I did bought it when I
was not yet aware of the NVidia shunning policy.

There is also this very good graphics device:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Etch_A_Sketch, which many tend to underestimate.