Plasma 5.8 freezing when laptop in battery mode (testing)

Hi all,
This is my first post to the list.  First of all, I really love the
latest incarnation of KDE.  It's beautiful, feels modern and retains
everything I loved about the old desktop paradigms. Best of all high
DPI support is the best I've come across in Linux-land. Honestly it
feels more like the spiritual upgrade to Gnome 2 than Gnome 3 or KDE
4.  Which is a good thing.  Now onto the problem...

I'm running debian testing on a HP ZBook G3 15 (nvidia quadro), using
the latest Plasma Desktop updates.  I'm having issues with the laptop
on battery mode, where after loading the desktop, my system does a
hard freeze.  The issue also occurs after logging in on AC power and
then disconnecting to enter battery mode.

I also have the latest Mate DE installed and do not have the same problem there.

I've posted a bug to debian testing but wanted to see if anyone else
is having issues like this.

Cheers,
Jon