Empty dialog windows

When running kmail  5.2.3
	KDE Frameworks 5.26.0
	Qt 5.6.1 (built against 5.6.1)
	The xcb windowing system
I frequently have empty dialog boxes.  For instance just now I was going to
use the PIM Setting Exporter, its main window came up ok, but the 'Backup --
PIM Setting Exporter dialog came up empty - the dialog window contains what
ever was showing behind it when it opened.  When I try to close it I get a
'Warning -- Window Manager' dialog with the same empty/background issue.

Sometimes - very rarely - it will work for a day or two.

Since I have not found any traffic about this issue I have to suppose it is a
setting I have done wrong, but what?  So, what I want to know is what I can do
to trouble shoot this?  Where should I look for error messages that might give
me a hint?

Best Regards, Allen