unicode / utf-8 characters displayed incorrectly in konsole

I've reported http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=829002

Sometime yesterday due to upgrades or something happening when my computer mouse behaved randomly for a minute or so, I've lost the display of unicode/utf-8 characters in konsole, instead seeing the diamond with a question mark in it. If I try to use mozc to input Japanese text, the result displays as plain question marks.

If I start an xterm session, that xterm session displays the characters correctly and I can input Japanese text find with mozc.

Any suggestions on where to look/what to try?

Arthur.