Re: Unstale: Recommendation to wait with an dist-upgrade

On 03/06/2016 00:41, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
Hi David,

On Mittwoch, 1. Juni 2016 15:51:54 CEST David Goodenough wrote:
On Wednesday 01 June 2016 14:52:44 Martin Steigerwald wrote:
Hi!

In case you want to avoid an after about 10 minutes crashing plasma
session
due to ksmserver not finding a symbol in a window manager related library,
I recommend you to wait till you can get plasma-workspace, kscreen, kwin
related packages from unstable. Otherwise you need to install some
kscreen + kwin packages from experimental temporarily to get back a
working session.

You can also wait for plasma-desktop as well, Maxy just uploaded it.

Akonadi 16.04 seems to work fine, but is not yet fully completely at
16.04,
and KDEPIM packages are still to come for 16.04.
[…]
With a large transition like this it would REALY helpful to people who
follow sid (which I guess is many of the people on this list) if there was
an email saying that such an upgrade had started (there was one
where someone noted it had started this time) and then one saying
when it had finished.  Especially when the list of packages making up
KDE has changed it is really had to know when everything is in place
and therefore we can restart regular dist-upgrades.

I currently have a quite stable state.

So for anyone who wants to to an apt dist-upgrade before the Qt 5.6.1
transition, now I think can be a good time to do it. I don´t know what others
experience, but my desktop is stable enough already. I found desktop effects
where deactivated, but I simply activated them again and they work okay. Only
little annoyance is that my main control panel at the side doesn´t autohide
anymore. Otherwise I am happy with the current state. Its all really stable
and slic for me. Of cause mileages of others may vary.

If you want to play it safer than that, I recommend to wait longer tough, to
let things settle. Of course, Qt 5.6.1 may some soon, within next 1-2 weeks.

Thanks

Same here, fully upgraded as of today, and "aptitude search ~S~i~Aexperimental" doesn't show anything KDE/plasma related any more. Desktop is stable, auto-hide does work for both my main top panel and secondary side one, but I need to re-enable auto-hide after login out. Only annoyance: I have two monitors with different resolutions, and after running a full screen program that changes resolution, or output to only one monitor and blanks the other, my top bar migrates to the other screen, and can't be moved again until I log out/in. That's on Debian amd64, nvidia proprietary drivers (from Debian repo), desktop effects activated and working (OpenGL 3.1 backend, GLX interface).

Enjoy your fresh plasma !