Re: KDE4 in Stretch?

On Mittwoch, 1. Juni 2016 19:56:36 CEST Andrej Kacian wrote:
> Hello,

Hello Andrej,

> while I'm glad that development continues on KDE5, and am looking
> forward to future usable environment, so far KDE5 has been a
> disappointment for me on several fronts, and in several waves, after
> each big 5.x upgrade. Every new major release brings in new bugs, new
> instabilities, new crashes, and doesn't seem to fix almost any of the
> previous ones. It is also slower than KDE4 was, even with significantly
> beefier hardware.
>
> Now, I do not have time to report all these bugs and work with
> the developers to fix them, even though that would be the
> correct thing to do. Therefore I'd like to know - is there a reasonable
> way to get KDE4 on Debian Stretch, or do I need to switch to Jessie for
> that?

Unless someone forward ports it or you do this yourself or compile it
yourself: No.

Additionally KDE SC 4 is *unsupported* by upstream. Also Qt4 is *unsupported*
by upstream. Only with very critical security issues you *may* still get a
security update. As for stretch I don´t know the plans of the Debian/Ubuntu
Qt/KDE team regarding keeping Qt4 around, but I think I heard the team would
prefer to replace any Qt4 based app by Qt5 version and get rid of Qt4 rather
sooner than later.

Trinity, a KDE 3 fork, is still developed and somewhat maintained, but only by
a few people, so I think their security and fixing things coverage will not be
as good as with Plasma and KDE Frameworks 5. Also I am not sure whether they
finally managed to port it to Qt4. They may be using Qt3 still and this is
totally unsupported by upstream.

If you like to use KDE4 then I suggest you stay with Jessie for the time
being. You can stay with it and ask around in some months or when Jessie is
partly frozen, how people here like the current state. As for some apps like
Firefox/Iceweasel, Chromium and stuff you can get recent versions for Jessie
too.

That said, with the last updates, especially those Maxy uploaded in the last
two weeks I like it more and more and more. Upstream has done excellent work.
Plasma 5.6 and KF 5.22 for me is definately better than the previous versions
in Debian. Its maturing. It took a long, long time for that, but it is
maturing. I observe upstream developers being quite active in handling bug
reports, more so than in a long time. Also recent Akonadi/KDEPIM 16.04 is a
solid improvement on anything that has been there with Akonadi based KDEPIM
before. The performance just got soooo much better. Its not perfect yet, but
definately much more usable than before.

Of course that is all just my subjective impressions and your mileage may
vary.

I hope that Qt 5.6.1 also will fix more things than it breaks. Then maybe one
of the last things I am quite annoyed with, that is multiscreen handling will
work robustly, but I think it already got better with kscreen 5.22.

Thanks,
--
Martin