Re: Yay, its coming!

On Monday 30 May 2016 07:54:54 Marc Haber wrote:
> On Mon, May 30, 2016 at 05:51:07AM +0200, Diederik de Haas wrote:
> > No, not really. Try doing the upgrade with aptitude as it has a more
> > intelligent dependency resolver
>
> Is this indeed the case in 2016 at jessie and a half?

Yes and I don't see that changing any time soon.
AFAIK apt-get's resolver has always been quite crude and it fits certain use
cases, but I'm not aware of its capability to offer alternative solutions
which is one of the strengths of aptitude.

> >  and I'd start with safe-upgrade.
>
> safe-upgrade will upgrade the packages that do not need removal or
> installation of other packages. So this is safe to do, but the OP
> will probably not end up with the new KDE then.

If packages were automatically installed and are no longer needed, safe-
upgrade will remove them. With the safe-upgrade method I have upgraded all
available packages, except 3.
Two of those are kio-extras and kio-extras-data on which aptitude full-upgrade
will suggest to remove plasma-desktop and we'll have to wait a bit longer till
various dependencies are available.

The only one I did force to upgrade was plasma-framework, as without it I
sometimes noticed things not always working properly, like krunner.
I solved that by installing plasma-runners-addons and plasma-widgets-addons,
which in turn automatically installed plasma-dataengines-addons and kdeplasma-
addons-data, all 4 from experimental. After that I could safe-upgrade plasma-
framework and I'm running with all the latest packages available on sid,
except those 2 earlier mentioned kio related packages.

In my experience you can consistently upgrade your system with safe-upgrade
and only occasionally you need to force things with full-upgrade.
Sometimes that means that not all packages are updated immediately, so you
wait a couple of more days till those are also safe-upgrade-able.
9 out of 10 times I conclude that aptitude was/is right not to upgrade all
packages immediately :-)

HTH,
  Diederik