Status bar corrupted in kate/kwrite

Hi everybody,

When I try to run the spellchecker in kwrite or kate, I get a
corrupted status bar at the bottom of the window (see attached
screenshot). All I need to do to reproduce the problem is hit the
"Spellcheck" icon twice in the main toolbar. Usually (but not always)
it works fine the first time I use the spellchecker. If I close the
spellchecker bar at the bottom of the window and then run the
spellchecker again, all I get is the corrupted status bar shown in the
screenshot.

Has anybody else seen this problem? Do you guys have any idea what's going on?

I'm running kwrite 15.08.3 (KDE Frameworks 5.16.0, Qt 5.5.1) on Debian
Testing. This problem seems to have appeared when I migrated from KDE
4 to KDE 5.

Thanks a lot,

Adriano