Re: Akonadi is broken

On Tuesday, 2015-12-29, 12:33:08, Sandro Knauß wrote:
> Hey,
>
> > Right. I have worked through my backlog of FOSS list mails and have
> > learned
> > that Akonadi is no longer pursuing to be a PIM hub for applications other
> > then the one for KDEPIM.
>
> Okay now we end up in a philsophical discussion - kdepim is still a PIM hub
> for applications.

Not as far as I can tell.
All I've read so far suggest that support for existing applications was
dropped.

> We know no application, that was using the IMAP like
> protocol directly - do you know one?

No, but that is not the problem we are discussing here.

> Every application accessing akonadi was
> using akonadilibs.

From what I have read there has been no update to these libraries to use the
new protocol.
If there were such an update, then applications would simply get their data as
they used to, just potentially more efficient.

However, all indicators point to that not being the case.

But maybe you can point to the version of the kdepimlibs that implements the
new protocol for existing applications?
So far all I have read seems to say that there is no such version, only newly
written libraries.

> That leads to change the protocol to something
> incredibly faster binary protocol.

Very nice.
But somehow the change seem to have left applications without access to their
data, users with application that can no longer work as they used to.

> The bad decision was kicking out the support of the old protocol in the same
> step. Which request every application needs to be updated / recompiled with
> the new libakonadi.

New libakonadi meaning a new implementation of the existing API or a new API?

Cheers,
Kevin