Re: Akonadi is broken

On Tuesday, 2015-12-22, 22:55:00, Sandro Knauß wrote:
> Hey,
>
> > Shouldn't a change in the Akonadi database only be of concern for the
> > Akonadi server, not its clients?
>
> Well - if the akonadi database is in a inconsistant state, because you run
> the db with a wrong shema, the clients can't use akonadi :D

So the package upgrade does not upgrade the schema?

> Other than that
> the akonadi protocoll switched from a IMAP like text based protocoll to a
> binary one - So how should old clients reach the akonadi anyways?

The protocol is an implementation detail of the Akonadi client library as far
as applications are concerned. I.e. applications don't use the protocol
directly.
kdepimlibs, which libakonadi-kde belongs to, has a binary compatibility policy
in place, so upgrading the library does not require to also change the
applications.

I.e. installing a newer application can require a newer library, but
installing a newer library does not require installing all applications in a
newer version.

Cheers,
Kevin