Re: Safe to upgrade?

Marc Haber:
> On Tue, Dec 08, 2015 at 06:56:45PM +0000, Chris Knadle wrote:
>> Marc Haber:
>>>
>>> I still regularly experience plasmashell taking 100 % CPU and needing
>>> a kill + restart. This especially happens over night when the machine
>>> is idling away in the lock screen.
>>
>> Hmmm!  I normally put my computer to sleep or hibernate for the night, so I
>> haven't seen this -- ick.  I wouldn't like to find that.
>
> Actually, the current behavior is a 100 % improvement over August's
> state of KDE plasma 5 when it was still a complete crash, needing a
> remote login+ kill X to get the machine back after it was left idling
> over night.

Yeah, a couple of months ago I repeatedly had to break out to a text console
with Ctrl-Alt-F2 to restart X when I tried Plasma 5.

> I have not dared to suspend the machine since the KDE Plasma 5 update
> since if the current system doesn't even survive a night of idling,
> how could it possibly survive a suspend+resume cycle?

Well I don't think suspend/resume should break because of Plasma 5 per se;
each of these are supposed to resume to the same memory state and continue
from there.  I'm able to both suspend and hibernate and get back right now;
that's not to say that this works for everybody of course, it's just one
data point.  Only way to know if it works for you is to try it.

>>> I didn't report it yet since I use a locally compiled
>>> plasma-widget-addons with the quick launch widget backported from
>>> plasma 5.5.
>>>
>>> And the volume occasionally jumps up to 100 %, especially when one
>>> clicks on "leave" or does things in System Settings. My neighbors
>>> really love that.
>>
>> I have this "volume jumps to 100%" issue, but in my case it's a self-made
>> thing -- in my ~/.bashrc I have this:
>>
>>    # Restore local ALSA mixer settings
>>    /usr/sbin/alsactl --file ~/.config/asound.state restore
>
> Not in my case.

Yes, I assumed not.  The main reason I mentioned the above is a) it means if
I've ever had the same thing happen the data is convoluted with the running
of the alsactrl restore, b) just in case you might have done something
similar and had forgotten (I didn't think this likely).

   -- Chris

--
Chris Knadle
Chris.Knadle@coredump.us