Re: plasma desktop broken again :(

On 29/10/15 04:54 PM, Brad Rogers wrote:
On Thu, 29 Oct 2015 09:54:22 -0400
Gary Dale <garydale@torfree.net> wrote:

Hello Gary,

And not wanting to rehash that old argument, the current system is
clearly not working. Surely all the bright people maintaining Debian
Debian is run by humans.  Humans, being humans, make mistakes.  It's
been admitted that libqt5x11extras5 v5.5.1 getting into testing was not
ideal.  Also, reference to this being a corner case.  IOW, a situation
that was difficult, if not impossible, to foresee.

can come up with something better?
It works the way *they* want it, mistakes notwithstanding.  If you don't
like that method of migration, then maybe Debian testing isn't for you.
Breakage happens in testing.  By and large, not frequently, but it does
happen.  Also, it's not usually such a major issue.  To paraphrase a
well known English saying;  "Stuff happens".

Yes, but it's been happening a LOT this time around. I've been running Debian Testing for over a decade and don't recall seeing this many major fails ever.

If my memory serves me, KDE4 didn't make it into Testing until it was reasonably complete and stable - somewhere after 4.2 wasn't it? Until then Testing still had KDE3. Why the push to get KDE5 out when it is still having massive teething problems?