Re: KDE5 Java SystemTray not supported

On Friday, 2015-09-18, 11:18:09, Richard Newton wrote:
> I had similar problem with "synergy" and have seen reports about other
> programs. As a work-around I installed  "lxpanel", configured it to only
> show the system-tray, located it so it doesn't interfere with the KDE
> panel, and made it unobtrusive.  Any panel should work, I only used lxpanel
> because I was familiar with it and it is light-weight.
>
> I understand KDE changed the way they handle system-tray items. Either they
> need to make a way to use the "old method" or all the effected programs
>  will need to adjust to the KDE method. Don't know how that is going to go!

All major workspace implementations (GNOME, KDE, Unity, but also smaller ones)
on Linux are changing this because the current (now legacy) option is based on
an X11 specific mechanism and won't be available on Wayland or Mir.

The new system, called Status Notifier Icons, is based on a windowing system
independent mechanism and can be used on X11 and next generation display
systems.

Most UI frameworks have kept up with that change, after all they want to stay
relevant in the future as well, but it seems Java hasn't or at least not in
the version used by Tim's program.

Quite a shame given that Java started out as *the* option for cross platform
application development, but always lacked platform integration in the default
feature set (one of the reasons why so many multiplatform Java applications
use Eclipse's SWT instead of SWING).

Anyway, for now there are quite some tools capable of providing an XEmbed
based "tray area", I think Martin Gräßlin's blog even mentions a couple.

Cheers,
Kevin