Re: KDE5 Java SystemTray not supported

I had similar problem with "synergy" and have seen reports about other programs. As a work-around I installed  "lxpanel", configured it to only show the system-tray, located it so it doesn't interfere with the KDE panel, and made it unobtrusive.  Any panel should work, I only used lxpanel because I was familiar with it and it is light-weight.

I understand KDE changed the way they handle system-tray items. Either they need to make a way to use the "old method" or all the effected programs  will need to adjust to the KDE method. Don't know how that is going to go!

On Fri, Sep 18, 2015 at 10:51 AM, Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez <perezmeyer@gmail.com> wrote:
On Friday 18 September 2015 16:43:19 Tim Ruehsen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just upgraded to KDE5 on unstable and immediately realized that my Java
> PBX Client fails to start because SystemTray.isSupported() returns false.
>
> I am using openjdk-8 packages.
>
> My questions are
> - is there a known work-around to start such Java apps within KDE5 ?

*Maybe* if you use sni-qt, but I'm not sure.

> - where should the bug report go, kde or openjdk ?

Most probably openjdk, see

 http://blog.martin-graesslin.com/blog/2014/06/where-are-my-systray-icons/

Good luck with that!

--
Contrary to popular belief, Unix is user friendly. It just happens to be
very selective about who it decides to make friends with.

Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer
http://perezmeyer.com.ar/
http://perezmeyer.blogspot.com/

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This electronic communication with its contents may contain confidential and/or privileged information. It is solely for the use of the intended recipient(s). Unauthorized interception, review, use, or disclosure is prohibited and may violate applicable laws including the Electronic Communications Privacy Act. If you are not the intended recipient, or authorized to receive for the intended recipient, please contact the sender and destroy all copies of the communication. Thank you for your consideration.