Re: Wife's sid box still wants to deinstall on dist-upgrade

On Thursday 17 September 2015 12:42:35 Brad Alexander wrote:
> So kde-full, kde-standard, and the kdebase-workspace/kde-plasma packages
> are not required for kde5, and won't uninstall necessary packages? I don't
> want to break her kde install.
>
> --b
Hi:

It'll "break" in a way. From a console perform the dist-upgrade. Then
reinstall aptitude, kde-full, sddm and what else you need.
After starting KDE5 you will need to setup your desktop completely from zero.
You may find some features missing which you relied on with KDE4.
That is "breakage in a way".

It helps to install a virtual machine with Debian Sid to observe the progress
of the transition but you will still find inconveniences when really using
your new desktop which might have escaped you on the test system..

Cheers
CGE

--
Eike Lantzsch ZP6CGE
Agencia Shopping del Sol

is. If you don't, it's its. Then too, it's hers. It isn't her's. It
isn't our's either. It's ours, and likewise yours and theirs.
 -- Oxford University Press, Edpress New