Re: Plasma past G++ transition

On Fri 04 Sep 2015 02:09:39 AM Diederik de Haas wrote:
> On Thursday 03 September 2015 17:08:56 Thomas Fjellstrom wrote:
> > > The whole libstdc++6 transition is only at 29% atm, but almost all kde
> > > packages are amongst that 29%.
> >
> > Hm, so i guess it'll be a few more weeks till it's all done? :(
>
> Months is more likely ;-)

Lol. I more meant for a majority of the packages, especially the more commonly
used ones, not every single package in main, contrib and non-free. :D
Basically to where things aren't horribly broken when running aptitude/apt-
get.

> > I just have a lot of kde packages held back. Basically aptitude wants to
> > remove most of kde still on my system. Aptitude upgrade can't even come up
> > with a solution to do /anything/. It used to sit and try for a while with
> > the  progress counters, but now it just gives up right away.
>
> Are you on sid or testing? From the aptitude output you posted earlier it
> looks like you're (partially) on sid.

Should be full sid. I don't even have stable or testing in my sources.

> If you are on sid, I suggest you try an 'aptitude full-upgrade -s' and let
> aptitude (optionally) run through many suggestions.

I've just tried that, but no luck after like 10. Still removing plasma and
digikam.

> Another thing you could try is to try 'aptitude safe/full-upgrade <pkgname>
> - s' and try whether you could upgrade things partially.
> But given the number of packages you seem to have installed you may have to
> wait (quite) a while before things get in enough shape for your system.

It seems like all the older virtual and meta packages are holding things back.
I may go in and remove things like kde-full, and kde-workspace* (I think that
was renamed plasma-workspace*?). But I really don't want to do without digikam
which i read isn't updated yet.

Not sure what I'll do yet, i do virtually everything on this machine and I
don't want to break anything essential (like kmail). I'll wait longer if I
have to.

I setup a test install in virtual box that I'll try and upgrade to the latest
kde and test out for a bit i think. See how it goes.

> I have fully upgraded (back) to sid yesterday and didn't loose too many
> packages, but I also don't have a lot of meta-packages which may have made
> things simpler in my case.

Fun story: a week or so ago, aptitude was regularly crashing trying to resolve
conflicts. It would sit and spin for tens of minutes (possibly longer?) then
crash. At least it isn't doing that anymore. heh.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom
thomas@fjellstrom.ca