help, lost the tops of windows in KDE 4.X

Hi, I've lost the tops of windows and hence the ability to move them, and also the ability to switch tasks with alt-tab on my other machine and wonder where I should go looking to fix this.

Installed includes:

ii kde-plasma-desktop 5:77+deb7u1 amd64 KDE Plasma Desktop and minimal set of applications ii kdm 4:4.11.13-2 amd64 KDE Display Manager for X11 ii plasma-desktop 4:4.11.13-2 amd64 KDE Plasma workspace for desktop and laptop computers

Some process of upgrading attempting to remove apparently un-needed packages lead to this situation and I've been experimenting, using the aptitude logs as a guide to re-installing things.

Any suggestions on what to check for or do to restore this functionality are welcome.

I'm happy to supply more details as needed.

Arthur.